Concepts Identity Broker status
March 21st 2023
- Conceptual model: Almost complete
- Paper prototype: Just begun
- Data model: Underway
- Code: Just begun
Goal: Reuse mutual understanding
- Misunderstandings based on ambiguous terms
- Precision is continuously discovered through iterative alignment
- We ourselves don’t really know what we mean until it’s
- Alignment proceeds through distinctions (criteria) or examples
- Keep track of terms used in those criteria and stories
- Terms have a private and a public meaning, which have different
Some definitions and assumptions
- Communication is an event stream
- Anything we can talk about is a Topic (recursively) (aka
- We use Symbols to refer to those Topics.
- Including: Natural language, OWL URIs, UUIDs…
- Claims assign a Belief state to a Proposition, which is made of
- At the collective level, belief is a statistic
- Evidence has entirely different rules!
- Anything expressed can be interpreted differently
Principles for a data structure
- An identifier follows the evolution of a concept’s
- Opaque identifiers: No incentive to control
- Personal reference combines with immutable state
- Track divergence for massive claim rewrite
- State as positions in a dynamic partial lattice
- Equivalence classes of sets of definition
Composing definition elements
- Given a super-category and two non-empty
distinctions, there are 5 basic cases
- Identity, Containment either way, Overlap,
- Also: Is the union exhaustive?
- Stories as evidence that a point is populated
- Lattice operators on-demand, when categories are
- Equivalence of meet as a join operator
After claim enrichment
Reading an enriched claim
A reader identifies an ambiguity
Requesting a new distinction
API: Inner knowledge repository
- Which terms are part of this statement?
- Which of my statements use this term?
- Which statements do I use to define this term?
- Could a statement use a more general / specific term?
- All or some statements using a term should use another
- Where does my concept fit in the global concept lattice?
- likely matches using text match, AI embeddings, etc
- navigating the formal concept lattice
- What distinctions are the most salient for this concept? Any new
- Which definitions or examples for this concept are thought to be
- Is this proposition widely believed? disbelieved? divisive?
- Publish claims, endorse definitions
- Propose a new concept, distinction, example
- Update personal definition of a term and all related statements
- Claim that two definition elements are related in some way
- 5 cases: Identity, Containment either way, Overlap, Disjoint
- Lattice operators on-demand, when categories are socially